variations on a theme...
I made my favorite cookies the other day (the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe from the Quaker Oats box, except I use dried cranberries and chocolate chips instead of raisins), and got to thinking about spice variations. With the cinnamon in there already, making a few changes to incorporate chai spices seemed almost natural. I love the way the clove and black pepper kind of show up halfway through the cookie. Yum! (I also love that Paul is cooking up a beautiful
Spag Bolognaise while I've got my feet up...)Oatmeal Chai Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups old fashioned oats, uncooked
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 350ºF.
2. Cream sugar and butter together in large bowl. Then add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
3. Combine flour, baking soda, and spices, then add to wet ingredients; beat well.
4. Stir in oat and chocolate chips until thoroughly mixed.
5. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet
6. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Cool on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire rack...or just eat them all right away.
Makes about 4 dozen